Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Now, don't panic...

2 posts in a day! Don't worry, I am ok.  I promised I wouldn't blog about running today, but I am.  I can't help it!

Ok, so it is like a state law or something here in Wisky that school can't start until sept. 1st.  AWESOME. I've spent 16 hours already at school this week, preparing.  I took some pictures, but didn't up load them. (See: LAZY)  Anyways, I was thinking about how I'm no longer than baby in school...ok, ok, I am the youngest employee, despite being one of 5 new teachers and since we didn't hire anyone new, I'm still a newbie.  BUT I know what I am headed into a little better than last year.  So, on my 4 mile run today, I thought about those new teachers out there. My advice for them is simple: be uncomfortable.  I did not do this enough at the beginning of the year.  I had these WONDERFUL coworkers who invited me places, lunch. dinner, drinks, to the lake, to the farmers market, to Kenosha.  I went sometimes, not always, because I was afraid to make new friends.  I was afraid to meet new people in a new town.  I was comfortable coming home to my boyfriend and watching Dexter.  DON'T decline eating with the 3rd grade teachers in the break room, don't tell the 2nd grade teacher you are too busy for dinner.  Don't deny the middle school teachers a cup of coffee.  And let those experienced teachers buy you lunch, you'll be able to pay them back later in the year.

And someday?  You'll take that new teacher out to lunch and see how grateful they are to have someone to talk to.

As rough as year one is, my amazing new friends and coworkers made the ride so worthwhile. I'm looking forward to another year.  And now I belong to an amazing gym, so after school I have something else to look forward to, as well.

Workout: run 1.5 miles to gym, run 2 miles on track, do 10 minutes of abs/planks/medicine ball work, run home.  AWESOMELY sweaty.

1 comment:

  1. Being able to walk/run to the gym is so awesome! I miss that and the gym!

    ReplyDelete